Basement Waterproofing Nappanee, IN
Foundation Repair and Basement Waterproofing
Everdry Michiana is the areas premier basement waterproofing and foundation repair company. In an area with an abundance of older homes, it is a good idea to have your home inspected and if needed waterproofed by a professional. Everdry Michiana provides services in the metro area, as well as the surrounding suburbs. Everdry Waterproofing is the Nation’s leading residential basement waterproofing contractor. Since 1983, Everdry Waterproofing of Michiana has provided full-service waterproofing for more than 80,000 satisfied customers. Everdry professionals take a personal one-on-one approach in educating homeowners so they truly understand all their options for creating a safe, dry, usable space in their basements. Contact Everdry Michiana for a FREE consultation!
Facts About Nappanee
Nappanee is now surrounded by fertile farmland as the headwaters of the Wabash River in northern Indiana, but initially was one of the least desirable areas of what became Elkhart County, Indiana, due to dense woods and widespread swamps, particularly tamarack marshes. Actually, it drains into two watersheds–precipitation south of what became Market Street drains into the Wabash River, thence to the Ohio River, Mississippi River and ultimately the Gulf of Mexico. Precipitation north of Market Street drains into the Great Lakes, and ultimately the St. Lawrence River and the Atlantic Ocean. Several hundred years ago the Mound Builders built north of the marshes. Pottawatomi arrived in the area from near Green Bay, Wisconsin in the 1700s, partially displacing Miami inhabitants. The Pottawattomis had settlements on the Elkhart River at Elkhart, Goshen and Waterford, and at Monoquet between Leesburg and Warsaw in what became Kosciusko County, Indiana.
By 1870, seven farms had been established and forty white people were settled around Nappanee. Locke Township had been founded in 1836 and named after Samuel Lockwood, and by 1863 a settlement called Wisler Town existed, but the actual platting of the village of Locke Town about six miles from Nappannee occurred in December 1867. It would receive its last addition in 1874, the year that Nappanee was platted (on December 12, 1874).The B&O Railroad sought a route westward from Sandusky, Ohio to the booming inland port of Chicago, Illinois in 1872. While the land around what became Nappanee and nearby Bremen was flat, permitting a straight crossing from Walkerton, it was also marshy, which led to engineering challenges. The section through Nappanee was finally completed as a single track in the late summer of 1874, and replaced by steel rails in 1882. Farmers sold the railroad land so that its tracks would run right next to Nappanee on its route to Chicago, although the railroad was unable to acquire the five acres needed to build a side track to the existing town of Locke. Nonetheless, on December 6, 1874, about three weeks after the railroad reached the outskirts of Chicago, it commenced service to what it first called Locke’s Station. By the month’s end, Daniel Metzler, Henry Stahly and John Culp Jr. had platted the town of Nappannee; Culp gave the railroad three acres for a station and Metzler two acres. By 1875, trains arrived almost daily to the new depot and discharged freight and passengers. The Eby brothers of Locke said they suggested the name because they came from Napanee, Ontario; one of the Metzlers said their father selected the name in part because of its native american connotations. Over time the B&O Railroad eventually became CSX.
The town’s first industry was a sawmill, and later box-making, charcoal and furniture businesses developed. The first brickyard (using local resources) was established before 1879. The first canning company was established in 1894, and a hemp factory was built by 1913 but never reached full capacity and was burned down in 1920 and not rebuilt. Mobile home construction had started in Elkhart and Goshen by World War II, and Walco and Franklin Coach Company were built in Nappanee after the war. Once land was cleared, corn and wheat were planted, and agriculture has long been important in the area. By the early 20th century, onions had become a major crop (including an autumn festival), and other farmer-entrepreneurs grew hemp and spearmint and peppermint. Nappanee was governed as a township from 1874 until 1889, when it incorporated as a town (then electing a town marshall and establishing a fire company and soon a waterworks). The town library was started as a ladies’ subscription service in 1895, and became a public library in 1925 after sufficient building funds were amassed to purchase an existing house, although a dedicated building wasn’t opened until 1937. Some tried to establish a college in Nappanee in 1895, but unlike various fellowships and fraternal and literary societies, the proposal never was implemented. In 1925 Nappannee incorporated as a city. Early in the 20th century, various Nappannee natives became noted cartoonists, including Merrill Blosser, Max Gwin, Bill Holman, Fred Neher and Henry Maust, and political cartoonist Francis (Mike) Parks was educated in Nappanee before working for New York, Omaha and San Francisco newspapers. A marker outside the public library notes Nappanee’s cartooning history. The Frank and Katharine Coppes House, Downtown Nappanee Historic District, Arthur Miller House, Nappanee Eastside Historic District, Nappanee West Park and Pavilion, and Stahly-Nissley-Kuhns Farm are listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Everdry Waterproofing of Michiana
South Bend, IN 46628